HM - January 2019 - Intro
Happy New Year! The Board of Directors announces Laura Wakefield's appointment as NCHE's Interim Executive Director upon the departure of Justin Jakovac. A National Board Certified teacher, Laura taught history until her retirement from Florida Virtual School in 2018. The recipient of numerous national awards and honors including being named the 1995 National Middle School Social Studies Teacher of the Year and a James Madison Fellow, Laura also has extensive experience as a curriculum writer, grant developer and project director. She served the School District of Osceola County, Florida Virtual School, NCHE, and the Osceola County Historical Society in this capacity. The Board appreciates Laura's willingness to serve NCHE and looks forward to her leadership. NCHE will begin a search for a new Executive Director in the spring after the conference in Washington, DC. Laura can be reached at Laura@nche.net. Welcome, Laura!
In this issue
History Matters! draws attention to NCHE's work in supporting history teachers' professional
development. Look for information about:
- Building a World History Curriculum at our Conference in March
- How NCHE's partnership with the OAH benefits classroom teachers
- A colloquium for teachers at the United States Patent and Trademark Office;
- Upcoming webinars on NASA and primary sources
- The important role of music in the history classroom.
- The National Portrait Gallery Conference Excursion